Your P. A. - Virtual Personal Assistant and more for YOUR business!
RSS

Recent Posts

You have to kiss a lot of frogs to find the prince!
What is the ideal size when posting online?
Should you do your own business administration?
Email Campaigns – The right way
Are you desk bound?

Categories

Business Organisation
Health
Marketing
Website
powered by

My Blog

Are you desk bound?

As I spend a large amount of MY time desk bound I found this very interesting - perhaps it will be of help to you too.

In a recent blog post on his site, strength and conditioning coach Mike Boyle presented a new theory: gym-goers have fallen in love with all the wrong exercises.

According to Boyle, if you work a desk job (which is 90% of us), the three worst exercises you can do are bench presses, curls and stationary cycling. I know what you’re thinking. “But that’s my whole workout.”  Sadly, a lot of people go to the gym, do a few sets of bench, a few curls and hop on the bike.

What’s wrong with this? The truth is that working all day in a seated position results in short hip flexors, short pecs and short biceps. This is due to the posture adopted while seated. This is also why we suffer from so much neck and back pain. Just look at what comprises seated posture in front of a computer. The hips are flexed, the arms are bent and the shoulders are forward?
“If you are going to the gym,” says Boyle, “your objective should be to reverse the effects of hours of seated posture, not magnify it.” According to Boyle, you need exercises that strengthen the muscles that keep your shoulders back, not the ones that pull them forward.

You need more rowing-type exercises to strengthen the muscles that pull the shoulder blades back, not more pressing to pull them forward. You need to stretch the hip flexors, and you need to make sure all arm work is done through the full range of motion to not reinforce adaptive shortening.

Performing these movements will help to open up your chest and hip flexors and strengthen your postural muscles, which will in turn combat the forward head and rounded shoulders posture commonly associated with prolonged sitting and/or aging.

Remember, poor posture is a result of the way we live and work. You can break the cycle by eliminating certain movements and introducing others into your routine, and soon you’ll be standing tall and building a foundation for future healthy movement patterns.

Are you worried about how hours hunched over your computer are affecting your posture? Get up and stretch for a minute… and then work on revising your exercise programme.

18 Comments to Are you desk bound?:

Comments RSS
reflexology courses on Wednesday, 29 July 2015 5:32 PM
Oh my!!! you might be simply just too precise in order to possibly be good. How do you manage to write down ALONG WITH research at these kinds of wonderful things? you make use of inspired me in order to run harder now. my spouse and i shall try Just like much As possible for you to appreciate life towards fullest AND ALSO be satiated from the wonderful details which can be around me, of which my partner and i may be unaware connected with until now.
Reply to comment

http://livecustomwriting.com/blog/geography-essay-your-turn-for-a-great-accomplishment on Tuesday, 28 November 2017 1:36 AM
Oh, wherever you go you have your lucky charm with you. Lucky you!

international business joint venture on Thursday, 28 December 2017 7:53 PM
A debt of gratitude is in order for sharing stunning data !!!!!! If you don't mind keep up sharing.

our college essay editors work 24/7 for you on Sunday, 11 March 2018 9:04 PM
We should perform the appropriate exercises after the sedentary work. The physical exercise will allow us to develop the muscles and adjust our posture.

Anonymous on Tuesday, 22 May 2018 5:18 PM
Nice

Harriet Conybeare on Sunday, 19 August 2018 9:57 AM
For a limited time we have lowered the rate on targeted website traffic. We have visitors from virtually every country on Earth. Each visitor is targeted by both country and keywords that you submit when you start your free trial period. If you need more visitors or product sales try our service free for seven days and we will send you 500 free visitors during the trial. There are no contracts and if you cancel during the trial period you will not be charged anything! Start your trial today: http://stpicks.com/2rusd Unsubscribe here: http://stpicks.com/2ruse

best essay services on Friday, 7 September 2018 7:31 PM
Probably we are doing the same while giving review about this blog and it seems to be obvious. While having the same routine there are many things which are meant to be the system that we designed.

best essay writers on Sunday, 13 January 2019 8:23 PM
This is helpful for me. I will use these tips really soon. Thank you!

v on Tuesday, 12 March 2019 4:55 AM
v

aussie essay on Thursday, 11 April 2019 4:49 AM
It focuses on the important points, claims, and information. It discusses the positive aspects of the topic. The author does well, good points makes, and insightful observations.

drama wiki on Monday, 1 July 2019 5:29 PM
Fantastic blog! Do you have any tips and hints for aspiring writers? I’m planning to start my own website soon but I’m a little lost on everything. Would you propose starting with a free platform like WordPress or go for a paid option? There are so many options out there that I’m completely overwhelmed .. Any suggestions? Many thanks!

the grief short story by anton chekhov summary on Tuesday, 9 July 2019 6:30 PM
I do believe that a sedentary job is the main problem of ours.I guess we need to think about having lunch in the gym
Reply to comment

how to write a good dissertation results chapter on Friday, 9 August 2019 6:27 PM
I have always been interested in the theory of evolution and how life appeared in our Universe. We have to save our planet and be careful in our choices.

Felix R. Bunker on Monday, 26 August 2019 5:07 PM
So, attain all these skills for making your company more better and the best than the others. You can also follow some successful business Leader like Arviv.Arviv is an Entrepreneur & Investor from Canada and President at Will-Power Management Inc CLIK HERE.

methodology section of a dissertation on Wednesday, 11 September 2019 2:03 AM
I am always worried about how hours hunched over your computer are affecting my posture. I've been working in a office about a year. I think, I need to make yoga to keep good posture.

piknu on Saturday, 21 September 2019 1:09 PM
this is really very informative and helpful blog. Go to site to download photos you like on instagram

writing a methodology for a dissertation on Friday, 11 October 2019 1:18 AM
yep, 100 percent, I know it's a problem but I do not care actually

do my methodology on Wednesday, 13 November 2019 6:14 PM
I wonder what my boss would say when he sees me doing bench presses or stationary cycling. I would recommend him better hiring a masseur.